George Polisner, November 7, 2016
Since 2003 I’ve been imploring progressive Democrats to produce a brief media piece that reclaims the values we share. We have allowed the right wing to frame us as “weak”.
The reality is -we are not frightened of democracy -we encourage voting (as we’ve done in Oregon and California).
- We are not afraid of refugee’s seeking shelter from horrific violence against themselves and their children.
- We are not afraid to pass laws -not to take people’s guns away -but to do all we can to keep them from terrorists and criminals.
- We are not afraid to trust women with decisions about their own bodies.
- We are not afraid to demand that corporations and the wealthiest Americans pay their fair share of taxes.
- We are not afraid of taking bold action to mitigate the effects of climate change.
- We are not afraid to protect retirement security for our seniors.
- We are not afraid to properly invest in education and build a lifelong thirst for knowledge and truth in future generations.
- We are not afraid of people that love or believe differently than we do.
- We are not frightened of facts or science.
- We do not hide behind walls, gated communities or fences.
- Don’t mistake our kindness and compassion for weakness or fear.