This week is a big one on several fronts, and there’s lots to do.
TrumpCare is a looming threat. We’ve seen the news reports over the last few days showing just how nervous U.S. Senators are about gutting your health care. That means your pressure is working. But it doesn’t mean your work is done. Whether or not the Senate decides to move forward with a health care bill is completely dependent on how much pressure you continue putting on them. Keep it up.
Congress’ newest pro-Wall Street legislation. This week, we’ll also see the House of Representatives attempt to gut protections put in place following Wall Street’s attacks on our families. Keep up your visits and calls to tell them the Financial CHOICE Act (H.R. 10) is the #WrongChoiceAct. The Senate may also try their hand at repealing protections for our families through the Regulatory Accountability Act of 2017 (S. 951), or, “The Worst Bill You’ve Never Heard of.”; Your visits and calls are more important than ever because we’re getting reports they don’t know if they have the votes.
Russia, Russia, Russia (Russia). This is also a big week on the #TrumpRussia front. Former FBI Director James Comey, who was fired by Trump on May 9th in the midst of leading an investigation into ties between Moscow and the Trump campaign, is testifying in an open session of the Senate Intelligence Committee on Thursday, June 8th at 10 AM. We’ve got all you need to plan a Truth or Trump action at home. This is especially critical if your senator serves on the Intelligence Committee. Find out here.
And, if that wasn’t enough, on Monday, Trump plans to roll out his scam of an infrastructure plan and your MoCs need to hear from you about it.
This week’s action items in one nice, numbered list.
- Demand transparency from your Senators on their efforts to take away health care from 23 million people, gut protections for preexisting conditions, and cut $880 billion from Medicaid to fund a massive tax break for corporations and the rich.
- Visit or call your Representative and urge him or her to vote no on the Financial CHOICE Act (H.R. 10), which rolls back protections put in place the last time Wall Street gambled away our savings, homes, and jobs. It’s scheduled for a vote this week.
- Urge your Senator to reject the Regulatory Accountability Act of 2017 (RAA)–”The Worst Bill You’ve Never Heard Of”– which guts protections for our environment, safety, and health.
- Call your members of Congress and demand an independent commission in addition to the special counsel. Neither the Senate nor the House committee are carrying out a responsible investigation into the Trump administration’s Russia ties. We can no longer wait on them to do it.
- Trump’s priority for the week is to create a distraction from Comey with a flashy, “smoke and mirrors” infrastructure plan, but we need to expose that it’s a big scam: Selling off roads and water systems to billionaires and foreign governments, who will hit us with huge new fees and tolls. Here is what you need to know to tell your MoC to stand against it.