Meet the Math Professor Who’s Fighting Gerrymandering With Geometry – The Chronicle of Higher Education
This is IMPORTANT here in OREGON! Republican Sec. of State Richardson has a Task Force that is working on the way Oregon redistricts. There are several bills before the Oregon Legislature right now that deal with our method of redistricting. The League of Women Voters commented on it in their newsletter sent out this week.
Moon Duchin has helped create a program to train mathematicians to be expert witnesses in court cases over redrawn electoral districts. She explains why it’s “the right moment” to pursue this new approach.
Gerrymandering is the biggest obstacle to genuine democracy in the United States. So why is no one protesting? – The Washington Post
Here are some positive results from the events of the last two weeks. Copy and pasted from a friend.
For everyone who DID something, small or big, your efforts have been successful. Because of you:
Federal hiring freeze is reversed for VA (Veteran Affairs).
2. Court order partial stay of the immigration ban for those with valid visas.
3. Green card holders can get back in country.
4. Uber pledges $3M and immigration lawyers for its drivers after#DeleteUbertrends on Twitter.
5. Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) enrollment ads are still going to air.
6. The ACLU raised 24M over the weekend (normally 3-4Mil/year).
7. HHS, EPA, USDA gag order lifted.
8. EPA climate data no longer scrubbed from website.
9. More people of different career/religious/economic/race backgrounds are considering running for political office than ever before.
10. MOST importantly, since we live in a participatory democracy, the people are engaged.
While more is needed, sometimes you have to celebrate your wins. Stay vigilant, but also take self-care seriously. Activist burnout is a thing. Marathon, don’t sprint. #resist
(Feel free to copy and paste to share)